Some economists and legal scholars have suggested that the “platinum coin option” is one way to defuse a crisis if Congress can’t or won’t lift the debt ceiling soon. At least in theory. The U.S. government is, after all, facing a real problem. The Treasury Department will hit its $16.4 trillion borrowing limit by next February at the latest. Unless Congress reaches an agreement to raise that borrowing limit, the government will no longer be able...
In response to:
It can happen here. Lincoln introduced paper money, FDR took us off the gold standard, This is the way the world ends This is the way the world ends This the way the world ends . . . Not with a bang but a whimper.
- LA Senate poll: Landrieu stuck in the mid-40′s, undecideds strongly disapprove of Obama Guy Benson 30 mins ago
- Luis Gutierrez: I have a duty to protect America, which is why I can’t support a border security bill Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Iowa’s Joni Ernst isn’t out yet: New poll shows her with a majority support Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Gates: No “hope of success” against ISIS without boots on the ground Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Audio: Joe Biden being Joe Biden, Jewish outreach edition; Update: “Poor choice of words” Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Benghazi hearings about to force the press to pay attention Noah Rothman 3 hours ago