The true answers are blindingly obvious. The first is to return to the original Social Security concept, that being as an ADDITION to your own savings for retirement. Make certain that all the promises for current participants are kept for those of a certain age (fight over what that age should be!) but change the promises for those who are below that age. Set up a new system which will pay a fixed amount (based on what you put into the system and what interest rates are calculated, as well as for what years the payments were made) for a FIXED period of time (with any remaining amount, should you die earlier, payable to an heir) based on a true actuarial assessment. You, and you alone, would be responsible should you outlive this.
- Congressman: The CIA thinks Obama’s strategy of arming Syrian moderates is “doomed to failure” Allahpundit 20 mins ago
- Ukrainian President warns joint session of Congress of the ‘new Cold War’ Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Open thread: Will Scotland declare independence? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Syrian rebels openly admit: We’re going to use America’s money to fight Assad, not just ISIS Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- VA: Actually, those secret wait lists did have something to do with the deaths Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, Alexandra Jaffe, Eliana Johnson Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago