The true answers are blindingly obvious. The first is to return to the original Social Security concept, that being as an ADDITION to your own savings for retirement. Make certain that all the promises for current participants are kept for those of a certain age (fight over what that age should be!) but change the promises for those who are below that age. Set up a new system which will pay a fixed amount (based on what you put into the system and what interest rates are calculated, as well as for what years the payments were made) for a FIXED period of time (with any remaining amount, should you die earlier, payable to an heir) based on a true actuarial assessment. You, and you alone, would be responsible should you outlive this.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Teamsters appeal to “Top Chef” for employment by threatening to bash in Padma Lakshmi’s face Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Rick Perry: It’s entirely possible that ISIS has already crossed the southern border Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- “Today is a miraculous day”: Dr. Kent Brantly speaks after recovering from Ebola Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- YouGov poll: Most Americans, and most Democrats, do not wish Hillary had won in 2008 Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Report: Obama’s Bergdahl swap violated the law Noah Rothman 7 hours ago