The true answers are blindingly obvious. The first is to return to the original Social Security concept, that being as an ADDITION to your own savings for retirement. Make certain that all the promises for current participants are kept for those of a certain age (fight over what that age should be!) but change the promises for those who are below that age. Set up a new system which will pay a fixed amount (based on what you put into the system and what interest rates are calculated, as well as for what years the payments were made) for a FIXED period of time (with any remaining amount, should you die earlier, payable to an heir) based on a true actuarial assessment. You, and you alone, would be responsible should you outlive this.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Video: Losing Andrea Mitchell Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Boehner: Obama lawsuit will focus on Obamacare enforcement Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Ann Coulter: Chris McDaniel’s killing his political future by contesting the Mississippi runoff results Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Watch Jake Tapper embarrass pro-Hamas attorney Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- Joe Scarborough: Glenn Beck is following Jesus’s playbook in providing humanitarian aid to young illegals Allahpundit 11 hours ago