It is quite probable that the stand down was a local order and not directed from Washington. For an incursion (for lack of a better word) into a foreign sovereign country without a status of forces agreement with the US you will require a presidential order. It is quite probable that the first step in a two step process was taken, local forces were placed in a ready status and were required to prepare for a mission. The second step is the one not taken, look for a presidential order to actually carry out the mission be found to be lacking. If, after a reasonable period, the presidential order is not received the local commander may order his troops to stand down from their ready status. Just my take, watch for it.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 10 hours ago