It is an axiom in the insurance business that insurance is not bought but sold. In 1935 Franklin Roosevelt sold Congress and Congress sold the U. S. the Social Security Act, the biggest, most comprehensive, most expensive mass insurance policy ever written. Since then its purchasers, the nation's taxpayers, have had occasion to read their policy carefully and, if they have detected no outright jokers, their reaction has been such that practically every politician in the U. S. from Franklin Roosevelt down has put revision of Social Security at the top of his must list.- Pie from the Sky Time Magazine,...
"Because today the heirs to America’s mass movement history aren’t the Jerry Browns, the Howard Deans, the Bill Clintons or the Barack Obamas." They aren't the Mitt Romneys, either.
- In Illinois and California, public servants skate in police abuse cases Mary Katharine Ham 46 minutes ago
- Will Utah be ground zero for nationwide gay marriage? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Virginia cops hoping to bust teen for child pornography by, er, taking photos of his erect penis Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- NYT: Chelsea Clinton gets $75K per speech Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Ted Cruz declines to follow Palin’s lead in calling for Obama’s impeachment Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Open thread: Obama to deliver statement at 6:45 ET feigning interest in border crisis Allahpundit 4 hours ago