I say we're best off if government just leaves us alone to our peaceful cooperation with whomever we please. Let politicians advocate moral behavior. Let them give to charities. But leave government -- which is physical force -- out of it....
I have heard of the Electoral College and have made myself read up on and learn more about it, mostly because of this election. It's a scary proposition. It's not like the primary or even the conventions where each state gets up and says so many votes for this person and so many for that person. The point remains that Gary Johnson will not, in all probability, gain enough votes in any state to win a sizeable enough number of Electoral Votes. Plus, a number of states are "Winner take all" on their Electoral Votes, so whoever gets the majority of votes, gets all the Electoral Votes for that state. Which is why a vote for Gary Johnson actually hands Obama Electoral votes, provided Obama is the highest vote "getter" in that state.
All political candidates call themselves freedom-lovers, but they are not. Neither major party really opposes government control of the economy or of our personal lives. I'm a libertarian because I see the false choice offered by political left and right: Democrats talk about personal liberty; Republicans talk about economic freedom. But what they do once in power belies their words.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Hmm: Tsarnaev sister arrested for alleged bomb threat Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Infographic of the day: Canada explains Russia and Not Russia to Putin Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- FBI: Russians hackers attacked Wall Street after sanctions imposed Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- Texas jury finds dad not guilty in mysterious shooting of drunk driver who killed his two sons Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.” Allahpundit 9 hours ago