Some economists and legal scholars have suggested that the “platinum coin option” is one way to defuse a crisis if Congress can’t or won’t lift the debt ceiling soon. At least in theory. The U.S. government is, after all, facing a real problem. The Treasury Department will hit its $16.4 trillion borrowing limit by next February at the latest. Unless Congress reaches an agreement to raise that borrowing limit, the government will no longer be able...
In response to:
The time has come for pro-business conservatives and pro-business liberals, united by their common respect for science, quantitative reasoning, and data-driven decisions, to put an end to this crackpot "economics" that has hijacked the thinking of too many Republican lawmakers. Republicans have become the new party of Rum, Romanism, and Rebellion, and their drunken nonsense has put our country's economy into a death-grip. Pro-business conservatives and pro-business liberals may disagree about some things in terms of the relationship between government and market, but there is a lot more uniting them, as a practical matter, than those weirdos in the Republican base.
- How to lose a war before it begins Noah Rothman 40 mins ago
- Putin: I could have troops in Kiev… Warsaw and Bucharest Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- NFL Week 3 open thread Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Daniele Watts won’t apologize, but how about the media? Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 20:1–16 Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Unhappy anniversary: six years of Keystone obstruction Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago