Some economists and legal scholars have suggested that the “platinum coin option” is one way to defuse a crisis if Congress can’t or won’t lift the debt ceiling soon. At least in theory. The U.S. government is, after all, facing a real problem. The Treasury Department will hit its $16.4 trillion borrowing limit by next February at the latest. Unless Congress reaches an agreement to raise that borrowing limit, the government will no longer be able...
In response to:
The time has come for pro-business conservatives and pro-business liberals, united by their common respect for science, quantitative reasoning, and data-driven decisions, to put an end to this crackpot "economics" that has hijacked the thinking of too many Republican lawmakers. Republicans have become the new party of Rum, Romanism, and Rebellion, and their drunken nonsense has put our country's economy into a death-grip. Pro-business conservatives and pro-business liberals may disagree about some things in terms of the relationship between government and market, but there is a lot more uniting them, as a practical matter, than those weirdos in the Republican base.
- Afghan interpreters who aided US in danger of being left behind Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 13:1–23 Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- ICE has the chance to catch Jose Antonio Vargas RIGHT NOW Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago