Harvard economist Greg Mankiw offered a unique observation following the release of the findings of a CBO study on the effective marginal tax rates that many Americans really pay on their incomes, after taking into account any government assistance they might receive and the income levels at which their welfare benefits phase out:The Congressional Budget Office has a new study of effective federal marginal tax rates for low and moderate income workers (those below 450 percent...
The essence of the income tax as it is administered is fraud, pure and simple. The United States Constitution forbids direct federal taxes, and is the only item in the Constitution that is stated twice: Article 1, Section 2: "...direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States..." Article 1, Section 9: "...No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census..." Direct taxes are taxes on a person, a person's property, or the exercise of a fundamental right. Any tax on a person's labor, or on the earnings from their labor, is a direct tax and must be apportioned. "Apportioned" and "in Proportion to the Census" mean that the tax is billed to the state governments according to each state's percentage
- Newest target of Latino media on immigration reform: Barack Obama? Allahpundit 33 minutes ago
- Pew poll: 61% of Republicans under age 30 support legalizing gay marriage Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Breaking: National lightbringer turns out not to be so centrist after all Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- CPAC: Evan Sayet Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Mystery deepens: Missing Malaysian jet reportedly flew hundreds of miles in the wrong direction Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- The Ed Morrissey Show: Andrew Malcolm, Melissa Henson Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago