Liberals Are Often Wrong, But Rarely Evil

amackent Wrote: 6 hours ago (5:20 PM)
Well said.

Liberals Are Often Wrong, But Rarely Evil

amackent Wrote: 6 hours ago (5:18 PM)
They may not intend to be evil, but their world view is rooted in jealousy and at it's heart is evil. They may have good intentions, but describing them as evil isn't far from the truth.

Taxing Online a Matter of Fairness?

amackent Wrote: Oct 26, 2014 12:25 PM
The fact is that even if sales taxes are not charged by the retailer, you are responsible to pay a use tax of the same amount. Most don't pay this and it's not often enforced, but lawyers, businesses and CPAs do pay it or they can get audited and their licenses can be jeopardized. MFA doesn't necessarily mean higher revenue for governments. Citizens can demand that politicians lower rates to balance the revenue received. It's certainly not going to happen all the time, but it does make sense that whether you buy online or at a local store, the taxes should be the same. Why allow local businesses to be disadvantaged just because they're local? Sales tax law should be simplified and standardized so it is easier to implement, but the basic principle is sound.
Tough question. I do believe you have a civic responsibility to vote and to vote for the best person for the job. On the other hand, I strongly disagree with the national party picking our candidates and backing incumbents at all costs. The people in each state must have the right to pick their own candidates without NRC interference. Since they did choose to interfere to protect their guy, I strongly feel that they should then get him elected. I perfectly understand a conservative who can't bring themselves to vote for a pork barreling corruptocrat.

Two Anti-Choice Parties

amackent Wrote: Sep 24, 2014 12:12 PM
Or we can fix those things in the Republican party that are out of whack. There are many libertarians in the Republican Party. Generally, we support free markets and economic liberty. There are also a lot of us who are more socially libertarian. We can certainly agree that the Federal government should have no say on any of the topics mentioned in the article. The states should have a lot more discretion to regulate, but that's simply not the role of the Federal government and as far as that goes, Libertarians and Republicans should be peas in a pod.

Is It Ever OK To Spank?

amackent Wrote: Sep 23, 2014 9:11 AM
Or are they not really my children at all?

Is It Ever OK To Spank?

amackent Wrote: Sep 23, 2014 9:11 AM
In your (not so humble) opinion. I firmly believe that physical discipline is a valid tool to have in the parenting toolbox. How about a more important and relevant question? Do I have the right to spank my children? Don't I have a right to raise my children as I see fit?
I want to like Jindal, but this list is as exciting as his SOTU response a few years ago. Blah. Point 1 should have been kept, but split in two or three points. Point 3 is ok. Point 4 is generic to the point of meaninglessness. The rest are leavening garbage that negate your whole argument. Overall, Obama could easily use the same list. Please, please, please Bobby - say what you mean and mean what you say!
If the testing to get into the school is what kept up the standards, then why would this change. I'm sure any tuition credit from the state wouldn't cover a private academy's tuition so people would still have to come up with something to attend. I'd think you could continue on your snobby way without concern.

No Military Dog Left Behind

amackent Wrote: Sep 03, 2014 11:14 AM
It's extremely rare for me to side with the Humane Society on anything, and I'm sure they'd take it further, but the article is well written and I agree that we should have a basic respect for life and at least bring service dogs back home when they're too old to serve.