It's a problem of his own making. He decided that beating up on illegal immigrants would boost his popularity among those suspicious that he was really a moderate Republican. In doing so, he injected an issue into the campaign that had largely fizzled -- and for good reason. Illegal immigration is down to historical lows -- primarily because the U.S. economy continues...
Regardless of policy there will be an illegal problem so long as the standard of living in the US is higher than that in surrounding nations, individual wealth is redistributed by the government, and there are only relatively minor consequences if one is caught. The only permanent solution is to raise the standard of living in those countries. Those sneaking into the US should stay home and work for change. The grass is greener on this side only because we worked to make it greener. It will only be greener on the other side when those sneaking through the fence decide to stay home and work to make it greener. Sorry Linda, you are way off base in your thinking.
If Mitt Romney is to have any chance of beating President Barack Obama in November, he must win a larger share of the Hispanic vote than current polls suggest he will. And he won't unless he solves his immigration problem.
- Video: “I suddenly remember how good the American people are …” Ed Morrissey 17 mins ago
- Jubilation: Israel and Syria trade fire as Islamists seize territory along tense border Noah Rothman 57 mins ago
- Putin is invading Ukraine, and he is winning Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Obama’s new power grab: A climate change treaty without Senate ratification Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Two legal guests tell CNN their Brown shooting audio might be a hoax Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- What’s the matter with Kansas? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago