One of the strongest elements of Mitt Romney's spectacular debate performance was his decisive rejoinder to the president's oft-repeated allegation that the Republican plans to raise taxes on middle class families. Obama said Romney has designs on an unpaid-for $5 trillion tax cut that would eventually necessitate higher tax bills for average Americans. Romney flatly rejected the claim by calling it false, then explained what he actually has in mind. But the president returned to the "$5 trillion" well on several subsequent occasions, prompting more rebuttals from his challenger. FactCheck.org and CNN reviewed Obama's accusation, and found it wanting....
In response to:
Bush's last deficit = 1.2 Trillion. Obama's last deficit = 1.4 Trillion. In Romney's math that is DOUBLING the deficit. The same math that states the deficit won't increase with a 5 Trillion tax cut and a 2 Trillion addition to teh defense budget.
- Never the commander-in-chief Noah Rothman 23 minutes ago
- Kerry lands in Cairo as Hamas, Israel refuse cease fire Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- IRS: Hey, maybe we do have our e-mail backups Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Again: Exactly which elite, liberal institution does have to live up to the Left’s values? Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- Detroit suspends water shut-offs for 15 days Allahpundit 13 hours ago