One of the strongest elements of Mitt Romney's spectacular debate performance was his decisive rejoinder to the president's oft-repeated allegation that the Republican plans to raise taxes on middle class families. Obama said Romney has designs on an unpaid-for $5 trillion tax cut that would eventually necessitate higher tax bills for average Americans. Romney flatly rejected the claim by calling it false, then explained what he actually has in mind. But the president returned to the "$5 trillion" well on several subsequent occasions, prompting more rebuttals from his challenger. FactCheck.org and CNN reviewed Obama's accusation, and found it wanting....
In response to:
Hey DevilDog: Do you want to start with the 5 Tillion tax cut and how it will decrease the deficit? or, do you prefer to talk about the lie that Romney's health care alternative will include coverage for pre-existing condition? Or, how about the lie that President Obama doubled the deficit? Or, that Obamacare will result in 20 million Americans losing their health insurance? Or, the lie that Obamacare will destroy the job amrket? Which lie would you prefer to start with?
- True Detective finale: greatest miniseries end ever? Ed Morrissey 14 minutes ago
- CPAC: Winners, losers, or just a debate? Ed Morrissey 54 minutes ago
- Senate Democrats plan all-night global-warming talkathon in support of … er … Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Video: Mystery of Flight 370 deepens Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Gates: Crimea is gone Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 14 hours ago