ObamaCare for Dummies

AliveInHim Wrote: Oct 11, 2014 2:00 AM
I don't know what kind of world you live in, but those whose policies will be subsidized BY ME will most assuredly and by definition NOT be paying the same rate I do. I am NOT saving 2500 dollars/year, I won't be able to keep the insurance I like (will have to change in 2016), and worse, there's a question on the e-form that if answered negatively, results in denied coverage (it's a question on acceptance of homosexual marriage. Yes. My husband had to click on the 'yes' box in order to get coverage for his employees). I will be forced into paying for them, and I resent it. Why? Because Teddy Kennedy and his ilk want votes and control, that's why. Medical care fifty years ago before the politicians started sticking their beaks into it and requiring insurance to cover every damn thing under the sun was not that expensive. Insurance was for catastrophic things, like emergency surgery and cancer. Doctors made house calls, and routine maintenance things like physical exams, vaccinations, eyeglasses, dental check-ups etc were paid straight out-of-pocket. My parents, grandparents and in-laws could afford their insurance, simply because their policies didn't have to also cover infant vaccinations, infertility treatments, maternity care and a host of other things that simply weren't applicable to them. They could choose the kind of coverage they wanted based upon THEIR NEEDS, not some politician's idea of what constitutes decent coverage. Thanks, but I'll pass on the book.
If dying via suicide is 'dignified', the clear implication is that those who brave out whatever they must deal with to the very end are somehow 'undignified'. Nobody blames her for fearing the unknown either in this life or the next, it's natural to us all. But why celebrate what looks like cowardice; an unwillingness to put herself into the loving hands of her husband, her family and God to see her through to the end? Why is she rejecting their care and concern, their willingness to do for her whatever they can, or eventually must, after all she's given them over the years? It's not pleasant to contemplate being helpless, diapered or spoon-fed, if that's part of the package, or in pain (which can be well-managed by a competent hospice team) but aren't there worse things? I know of no one who's had to care for a loved one unto the final extremity ever regretting having done so, even if in the practical sense they're glad for Mom's sake when it's finally over. The Psalmist says; 'You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. I hope she will change her mind, that someone will be moved by God to reach out to her and give her REAL hope and a promise that she need not walk alone, and that there IS Someone Who died so that she could truly live.

Why I Oppose Liberalism

AliveInHim Wrote: Oct 11, 2014 1:07 AM
Excellent column, Mr Hawkins. Liberalism is nothing if not the gospel of greed, envy and theft. The price one pays is one's soul. As One much smarter than I has said of such people, 'They have their reward'.

Stop Calling It Marriage Equality

AliveInHim Wrote: Oct 10, 2014 11:49 PM
Wow you really have some sort of mental schizophrenia going on there! A polygamous union is no different than a gay union since love is the defining characteristic, right? Who are YOU to say a man can't love more than one woman?

Stop Calling It Marriage Equality

AliveInHim Wrote: Oct 10, 2014 11:49 PM

Stop Calling It Marriage Equality

AliveInHim Wrote: Oct 10, 2014 11:45 PM
Firstly, your friend had every right to have a ceremony wherein promises were made, rings exchanged, and a party could be thrown. There ARE churches who will do that regardless of state law. Or, they could have simply done the thing themselves and committed to each other with friends gathered 'round, then the party, etc. Seems to me if all you want is the party, go ahead. As to the rest, wills, joint property and other issues (hospital visits, medical directives etc) are freely settled between any two legal adults with no restrictions I'm aware of. As it is, businesses DO NOT have to serve obstreperous people. An LDS bookstore doesn't have to cater to Baptists. A 'cowboy bar' typically is NOT where you find bikers. Nobody says a topless bar has to close down because its presence in a community causes offense to some. Would you force the Muslim owner of a restaurant to accommodate the 'wedding' reception of two gay people? Let the free market decide. There's a niche for everyone, and no legitimate or moral need for anyone to be bullied into entering a contract which one party feels would violate his personal ethics.

Stop Calling It Marriage Equality

AliveInHim Wrote: Oct 10, 2014 11:35 PM
James, what exactly is stopping you from having a ceremony, exchanging rings, throwing a party and sharing an apartment? Is the only cleric available where you live a Muslim cleric?

Stop Calling It Marriage Equality

AliveInHim Wrote: Oct 10, 2014 11:34 PM
NAMBLA has declared its intent to work on lowering at least the age of consent for sexual relations; 'Sex by age eight or else it's too late' is their mantra. Child marriage WILL eventually happen; knock down one barrier for the sake of a very very small minority within a larger very small minority, what's to stop more barriers coming down, and what's the moral basis upon which that stopping point is discerned?

Another Ebola Risk: It Eats Logic

AliveInHim Wrote: Oct 10, 2014 6:54 PM
Wouldn't surprise me.

Another Ebola Risk: It Eats Logic

AliveInHim Wrote: Oct 10, 2014 5:58 PM
I thought that was what ObamaoDoesnt'Care was all about? Oh, wait...

Another Ebola Risk: It Eats Logic

AliveInHim Wrote: Oct 10, 2014 5:57 PM
Typical liberal thinking supposes we can have it all ways: they have no idea that in this life, practicalities consist of trade-offs, not absolutes. Can we entirely eliminate the threat from Ebola? Of course not. But we CAN reduce it by refusing to subject ourselves unnecessarily to that risk. If that mean blocking travelers from ANYWHERE in West Africa, so be it. Our first obligation is to US, which doesn't mean we can't also help THEM; it'd just have to be over there. Amazing that these people advocate for 'free' birth control and abortion to 'reduce' the number of 'unwanted babies', and by extension, child abuse, but do not see that immigration control will in fact reduce the risk of something really nasty having the chance to gain a foothold and REALLY reduce the 'surplus population'.