The IPCC is wrong, but by being too conservative in the rate of increasing Climate Chaos (and yes that is the best description). For example, the ice floating in the Arctic Ocean is shrinking MUCH faster than they predicted. The summer minimum for 2012 was 1/3rd the area and about a fifth of the volume of the late 1970s/early 1980s (when good satellite data was available). http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/files/2013/10/Figure3_Sept2013_trend.png The jet stream is caused by just two factors, the rotation of the earth (unchanged) and the temperature difference between the Arctic and further south. A warmer Arctic (undeniable by those that look at facts) means a weaker jet stream. In mid-summer, the jet stream used to push weather systems in & out every month or so. Now, the weather we have in early summer tends to stay all summer long - absent a major hurricane. Eh, Texas ? The weird combination of a tropical hurricane and a nor'easter made Super Storm Sandy. This was not caused by the jet stream, but allowed by the new weaker jet stream. The weaker jet stream was in an unusual hair-pin loop over Greenland which allowed and guided the merger. Just because humans are imperfect in predicting every detail (example, underestimating Arctic Ocean ice melt) does *NOT* mean than humans are not permanently altering our Climate forever. Humanity is forcing a rapid change and the change will be chaotic. Remember, there are no "Do Overs' or going back to what we remember as children. It is just a matter of how fast and chaotically we change.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Breaking: Ray Rice wins appeal, suspension overturned Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago
- Does anyone really want to endorse Obama’s defense policy? Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- Open thread: The obligatory “Black Friday brawls” post Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- Video: “Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens” trailer Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Feud developing between Capitol Hill Dems & White House? Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago