That revelation, which was greeted with a ho-hum by the media, basically announced that by 2033, 21 years from now, the so-called Social Security trust fund will be empty. The only reason this was even announced is because we are approaching a presidential election campaign, and...
So national defense is the only thing for which the federal government was intended? Why not break a habit and actually examine the facts? The Declaration of Independence, one of the founding documents that you pretend to understand and revere, puts it explicitly: governments are created to ... provide for the common defense AND promote the general welfare. You libertarians prefer to ignore the latter phrase out of egotism, arrogance, and short sightedness. You convince yourselves that you do not need public assistance and never will, ignoring the example of your hero, Ayn Rand, who eventually applied for the entitlement benefits that she had spent her life derogating.
When Texas Gov. Rick Perry, then in the early stages of his short-lived quest for the Republican presidential nomination, referred to Social Security as "a Ponzi scheme," he was excoriated by the press, left and right, and by his fellow Republicans, as well. Earlier this week, government actuaries revealed that Perry was correct.
- Luis Gutierrez: I have a duty to protect America, which is why I can’t support a border security bill Allahpundit 20 mins ago
- Iowa’s Joni Ernst isn’t out yet: New poll shows her with a majority support Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Gates: No “hope of success” against ISIS without boots on the ground Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Audio: Joe Biden being Joe Biden, Jewish outreach edition; Update: “Poor choice of words” Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Benghazi hearings about to force the press to pay attention Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- CBS/NYT poll shows Obama at new low on terrorism, foreign policy Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago