Does Frederick Bastiat and his "fallacy of the broken window" come to mind? Even Berthold Brecht, in his play "Mother Courage" portrays the cumulative destruction wrought by war. Wealth is both created and destroyed... catastrophes destroy... proper application of accumulated capital can create.
Here's a which-is-better question for you. Suppose a New Jersey motel room rented for $125 a night prior to Hurricane Sandy's devastation. When the hurricane hits, a husband, wife and their two youngsters might seek the comfort of renting two adjoining rooms. However, when they arrive at the motel, they find that rooms now rent for $250. At that price, they might decide to make do with one room. In my book, that would be wonderful. That decision would make a room available for another family who had to evacuate Sandy's wrath. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and others condemn this...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Your feel good video of the weekend, with Reince and DWS Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- Noted internet gambling critic has interesting gaming history Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago
- 2014’s ‘Clinton Democrats’ crashing and burning Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- The Democrats’ embarrassing attempt to blame Republican for Ebola collapses Noah Rothman 18 hours ago
- NFL Week 7 open thread Ed Morrissey 19 hours ago