Does Frederick Bastiat and his "fallacy of the broken window" come to mind? Even Berthold Brecht, in his play "Mother Courage" portrays the cumulative destruction wrought by war. Wealth is both created and destroyed... catastrophes destroy... proper application of accumulated capital can create.
Here's a which-is-better question for you. Suppose a New Jersey motel room rented for $125 a night prior to Hurricane Sandy's devastation. When the hurricane hits, a husband, wife and their two youngsters might seek the comfort of renting two adjoining rooms. However, when they arrive at the motel, they find that rooms now rent for $250. At that price, they might decide to make do with one room. In my book, that would be wonderful. That decision would make a room available for another family who had to evacuate Sandy's wrath. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and others condemn this...
- Will Grimes ever give us a straight answer? Matt Vespa 42 mins ago
- Victory! Boys born as boys can shower with girls in Kentucky school Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Prosecutor: Suspect in Oklahoma beheading uttered Arabic words during attack Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Poll: Overwhelming majority of Republicans now describe themselves as “hawks” Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Another federal court strikes Obamacare subsidies on federal exchanges Gabriel Malor 3 hours ago
- Tuesday TEMS: Andrew Malcolm, Brian Barcaro, Joel Pollak Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago