But defeat, destruction, captivity, exile? It couldn't happen here. Yesterday it did. Before the sunset, the city was a ruin, the Temple aflame....
shema yisrael Adonai eloheinu Adonai echad: Hear O Israel, the Lord our God the Lord is one
Yesterday the city fell. The siege had been going on for months. Three weeks ago the enemy breached the walls. A lone voice here and there, an occasional street preacher, tried to warn the people, but to no avail. Prophets may be honored but not in their own country. Life in the teeming city continued as always. People ate and slept, bought and sold, and quarreled as usual, blaming each other as the enemy's grip tightened.
- Josh Earnest: Ignore Obama’s military critics because they served under Bush Noah Rothman 21 mins ago
- Jobs plan from WI gubernatorial candidate looks mighty … familiar Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Exonerated, Chris Christie taunts the press by embracing Roger Goodell Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Scotland votes No to independence Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Video: Shep vs. Earnest Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago