But defeat, destruction, captivity, exile? It couldn't happen here. Yesterday it did. Before the sunset, the city was a ruin, the Temple aflame....
shema yisrael Adonai eloheinu Adonai echad: Hear O Israel, the Lord our God the Lord is one
Yesterday the city fell. The siege had been going on for months. Three weeks ago the enemy breached the walls. A lone voice here and there, an occasional street preacher, tried to warn the people, but to no avail. Prophets may be honored but not in their own country. Life in the teeming city continued as always. People ate and slept, bought and sold, and quarreled as usual, blaming each other as the enemy's grip tightened.
- End of an era: Chelsea Clinton leaves NBC Ed Morrissey 47 mins ago
- Inside the collapse of Obama’s Syria ‘strategy’ Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Politico, WaPo, ABC: This “no strategy” comment will do serious damage Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- How many times does Josh Earnest have to say ‘strategy’ before you forget yesterday? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- ISIS has shocked America back to its senses Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Surprise coming in MA gubernatorial race? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago