The "comprehensive" label would suggest that beefed up border security would be at least one integral part of any final reform package, and rest assured that everyone on all sides of the debate will at least claim that it is. The real question is whether achieving certain concrete benchmarks will be meaningfully required before other elements of the law are triggered, such as starting the clock on a multi-year path to citizenship for illegals. Virtually every Republican says yes. Barack Obama (for now) and Janet Napolitano say no. Chuck Schumer and other Democrats say maybe-ish. Plus, preliminary legalization...
In response to:
Solution: Make it law that if you support ILLEGAL immigration, open borders...etc...You MUST let that one or family of felons live with you until they get naturalized, with no financial support from the gov. Whats that libs? Why should YOU have to pay for them?? I thought so.
- Biden to women’s conference: I miss Republicans like Bob Packwood Ed Morrissey 41 mins ago
- Bob Beckel: Get ready for an October surprise, Republicans Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Cardinals clash over divorce, communion ahead of Vatican synod Ed Morrissey 2 hour ago
- Josh Earnest: Ignore Obama’s military critics because they served under Bush Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Jobs plan from WI gubernatorial candidate looks mighty … familiar Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Exonerated, Chris Christie taunts the press by embracing Roger Goodell Noah Rothman 4 hours ago