@anonymous: Wonderful comments. Thanks for sharing your family's story. My father was a B-17 bomber pilot in WWII. His plane was shot down on a bombing run over Berlin, and he crash-landed their plane. He finished the war in a German POW camp. He weighed 90 lbs when liberated. I recently read 'Unbroken' about Louis Zamperini's experience (and the 'rest of the story'.....of his coming to faith in Christ after the war, which is the real story of his surviving and thriving in spite of his torture and beatings by the Japanese). I also read 'Flags Of Our Fathers' a number of years back, about James Bradley's father, who was a Navy Corpsman and one of the men taken in the iconic flag raising photo on Iwo Jima. The book describes some of the horrific things the Japanese did to Americans that were captured in battle. I spent 6 years in the Navy and was in Gulf War I 1990-91, but I feel that my experience was nothing compared to those of WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and our military heroes serving multiple deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan. THANK YOU to all our Vets, active duty members AND their families.
I'm a Navy Vet. Excellent commentary, Mr. Jackson........THANK YOU.

The GOP's 20 Car Pile-up

ACinNC Wrote: Jan 14, 2015 9:58 AM
"But the promise is that this electorate is so clear eyed about the downsides of superficiality that the candidate with the best plan and the most transparent peal to experience and reason wins." I do not believe that. It might be true of those on the Right who are informed about the issues. But Obama's election and RE-ELECTION tells me that our general voting population is ill-informed, apathetic and easily swayed by oration & rhetoric. I'm still astonished that a hard-Left Alinsky-ite like BHO, with his awful 1st term record was re-elected. Although I believe it's important to keep informed and participate in the electoral process, my faith & hope are in God......Not who we elect to the WH in 2016.

The Texas Legacy of Rick Perry

ACinNC Wrote: Jan 05, 2015 1:40 PM
I've been impressed with Rick Perry's record as TX governor since his 2012 run. I hope he can overcome the MSM meme that he's not very bright, due to his communcation stumbles on the campaign trail and debates in 2012. It's too bad we're stuck with the political reality that political candidates must be perfect, charismatic and mesmerzing as communicators these days, which doesn't say anything about their ability to lead efffectively with a vision. Your last paragraph just may put Perry at the top of my GOP list of contenders for 2016. Says a lot about his character. Thanks for the commentary.

UNBROKEN Film Gets My Dad’s Faith Right

ACinNC Wrote: Dec 16, 2014 4:22 PM
Really??? I'm as Conservative as they come, but sheesh! Give the politics a rest on a non-political column. Comes off as disrespectful to me, and kind of cheapens a nice commentary about Louis Zamperini by his son.

Who Are the Cowards Now?

ACinNC Wrote: Dec 02, 2014 11:37 AM
That's a very big presumption about America.......A perception based on a handful of youtube videos. In comparison, the vast vast majority of law enforcement officers never get put on youtube because it's not "sensational" or "interesting" to simply do one's job with integrity & restraint, day-in & day-out. You've impugned their honor.

Notes on Another Swing of the Pendulum

ACinNC Wrote: Nov 06, 2014 2:37 PM
"Cooperating, the battered president [Clinton] and the ebullient new speaker of the House worked together to fulfill Newt Gingrich's visionary Contract With America.........Now let's see if Barack Obama, Mitch McConnell and John Boehner can do as well as Clinton, Gingrich and Co. back in the '90s. Stranger things have happened." NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. Obama is too intransigent in his hard-Left ideology. Clinton was many things, but he was also a pragmatist. BHO is not.

If You're Elected to Govern, Then Govern!

ACinNC Wrote: Sep 03, 2014 12:48 PM
Ditto. Well said.

If You're Elected to Govern, Then Govern!

ACinNC Wrote: Sep 03, 2014 12:47 PM
I think you're taking Mr. Murchison out of context. I don't think he is referring to the ongoing government Leviathan (aka bureaucracy). I think he means that with all the serious foreign policy and national security issues (and dangers) that we're facing, our DC government leaders are not seriously addressing them, much less taking any real action to deal with them. Especially our Executive Branch, which has the responsibility to provide leadership. Instead of going on holiday and dithering while Rome burns.

Armageddon, Act I

ACinNC Wrote: Jun 28, 2014 3:43 PM
I was just commenting yesterday to a few friends the very things you say in your commentary, Mr. Greenberg. It's ironic that while WWI obliterated the illusion that Man was moving beyond human folly & destructive conflict in a march towards Utopia, it also obliterated faith in God for so many people. When in fact, the whole tragic episode validated what the Bible says about every single one of us being sinful & fallible, capable of folly, hate & horrific violence under the "right" circumstances. We're doomed to repeat history when we do not learn from it. As the stakes get ever higher.......