In response to:

Whose Welfare?

absinthe48 Wrote: Jan 30, 2013 8:54 AM
It is bad policy with unintended consequences, but I understand the motives behind the Indian Child Welfare Act. Indians as a race were nearly wiped out in the 19th century. They actually were wiped out in places like New England as early as the 17th century. With blacks voting 96% for Obama -- we are still looking for the other 4% -- it is stupid to argue that race does not count in modern America. It is sad for the little Indian children, but just look at the 75% of black children who are born illegitimately.
Doug5049 Wrote: Jan 30, 2013 8:59 AM
And many Democrats don't think a childless white couple with a nice home, good values, and enough income to properly raise a kid should be able to adopt a black baby born to a single teenage girl who has no clue who the father is.

Actually, I could have shortened that to "Many Democrats don't think."

If there is ever a contest for the law with the most grossly misleading title, the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978 should be a prime candidate, because the last thing this Act protects is the welfare of Indian children.

The theory behind the Indian Child Welfare Act is that an American Indian child should be raised in an American Indian culture.

Based on that theory, a newborn baby of American Indian ancestry, who was adopted immediately after birth by a white couple, was at 27 months of age taken away from the only parents she has ever known and given...