So taxes will be going up. As a matter of political strategy -- not to say survival -- Republicans will have to agree to raise taxes on those defined as rich. It's...
The problem is that when the Democrats and Republicans put their heads together to compromise on tax questions, they always find those loopholes acceptable that their sponsors pay them to support. Whatever the lingo, the crushing burden is always laid upon small independent businesses and upon the middle class. That is the reality. Clinton was better than Bush II for the middle class. Obama is worse. But there are fewer and fewer people now who work to pay for more and more societal parasites, and this condition will not last much longer. It cannot. Socialism collapses.
Realistic Republicans understand that President Obama and the Democrats head into fiscal cliff negotiations in a far stronger bargaining position now than in 2011. When voters were asked on Nov. 6 whether they favored raising taxes to reduce the deficit, a total of 60 percent said yes (47 percent favored increasing taxes for those who earn $250,000 or more, and 13 percent approved tax increases for all).
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- WaPo/ABC poll: Majority approves of airstrikes in Iraq … Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- Report: Two times as many British Muslims fighting for ISIS as with U.K. armed forces Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- All in: Red-state Democrat Mark Pryor launches rare pro-ObamaCare midterm ad Allahpundit 10 hours ago