But there are those people who hate the Catholic Church, and they are ecstatic. Take documentary filmmaker Alex Gibney, a man who clearly thinks he is holier than the Pope. He told the Daily Beast that Benedict is a "criminal." This helps explain why he's made a documentary for HBO, the home...
Pretty sweeping condemnation there, goshdarn Liberal. Er, BBC and the Boy Scouts. Probably half of the school boards in America. Many, many Protestant churches and temples in America. Complicit, too, are our social service organizations who pay welfare, without investigation into sexual abuse, to many, many mothers aged 12 to 17. After Vatican II the church was filled with liberal clerics who bought into the cultural consensus of the Sixties that "if it feels good, do it." What makes the Catholic church a particular target for liberals' "total contempt" is that the hierarchy held on to the traditional values of the magisterium and survived yet another attempt to dismantle it, this time by lawsuits aimed at the church's wealth.
Pope Benedict XVI shocked the world on Monday morning by announcing he would resign at the end of February. For Catholics, there was sorrow and there was gratitude for a Holy Father who taught with such distinction and worked with such care to safeguard the church's theological traditions.
- NYT: On second thought, Bush did pull together a coalition on Iraq Ed Morrissey 42 mins ago
- U.S. had Assad’s cooperation during strikes on targets in Syria Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Open thread: War president to address nation after targeting ISIS, Khorasan in Syria Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Yemen’s capital under near total control of Shiite rebels following bloody offensive Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- US hits Khorasan group in air strikes on Syria Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago