The reason, we are told, is a change that Republicans have previously rejected but Democrats and Latino groups see as indispensable: a procedure for illegal immigrants to become legal residents and, eventually, citizens. Critics call it "amnesty" and say it will spur illegal immigration as surely as...
And by the way, Mr. Chapman, you and the enforcement provisions in this bill focus on our SOUTHERN border, but about 40% of illegal aliens enter on visas they overstay. We have no way of knowing because US VISIT doesn't work, after a decade in development and more than a billion dollars. How many illegal aliens are going to be entering while the amnesty process is going on and we STILL don't have border security? And how many will be entering because this bill calls for a NEW worker verification system instead of eVerify--and new system that also would likely be costly and NOT WORK.
To hear opponents tell it, you don't want to be standing along the U.S. border when an immigration reform bill becomes law. Millions of foreigners who were previously content in their native lands will hear about it, pack a bag and storm across the U.S. border, trampling anyone unlucky enough to be in the way.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- There will be nothing from the president tonight on the beheading of an American journalist Update: Statement tomorrow Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Spot the problems with these headlines: NYT edition Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Video: The day John McCain did the robot Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Poll: 82% think it should be illegal to let your nine-year-old play at the park unsupervised Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- “Heads up high”: The Cumberland Little League consolation speech Allahpundit 10 hours ago