Much to the horror of various interest groups, it appears that there will be a “sequester” on March 1.
This means an automatic reduction in spending authority for selected programs (interest payments are exempt, as are most entitlement outlays).
Just about everybody in Washington is frantic about the sequester, which supposedly will mean “savage” and “draconian” budget cuts.
If only. That would be like porn for libertarians.
In reality, the sequester merely means a reduction in the growth of federal spending. Even if we have the sequester, the burden of government spending will still be
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- Gallup poll shows Tea Party supporters the most motivated to vote Ed Morrissey 11 mins ago
- Red line? ISIS used chemical weapons against Iraqi army Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Rise of Ebola and terrorism a perfect storm for the GOP? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Report: Ebola cases starting to drop in Liberia Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Not exactly self-isolation: Ebola patient’s itinerary prompts questions about protocols Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Does Georgia vote Democratic in 2014? Noah Rothman 4 hours ago