The one facet not present at the negotiating table but surely on the union's mind was the idea that they could play 'chicken' with the company only to stall long enough for Santa to come sledding in to save the day. Having worked in both union and non-union shops, it seemed to me that the workforce in a non-union shop had a personal investment in the success of the company. Contrast that to a union shop, where the company was often (not always) viewed as a money-tree whose primary purpose was to provide a living to the workforce. Any profit that was turned was secondary to the primary purpose. I unwillingly participated in one of these showdowns once. It is incredible to watch people with families to feed vote themselves out of a job.
- America has no strategy, but ISIS does: Biological terrorism Noah Rothman 39 mins ago
- More non-existent voter fraud tuns up in Virginia Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- AFP Defending the Dream Summit: Day 1 Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Citizen legislator Sen. Mary Landrieu doesn’t really live in Louisiana Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Democrats go after Republican for self-defense measure he took…14 years ago Matt Vespa 12 hours ago