The most draconian laws in existence are those designed to protect people from themselves. FAI, viva la revolucion.
Public misunderstanding, ignorance and possibly contempt for liberty play into the hands of people who want to control our lives. Responses to my recent column "Compliant Americans" brought this home to me. In it, I argued that the anti-tobacco movement became the template and inspiration for other forms of government intrusion, such as bans on restaurants serving foie gras, McDonald's giving Happy Meals with toys, and confiscating a child's home-prepared lunch because it didn't meet Department of Agriculture guidelines. A few responses read like this: "Smoking is different because that actually affects other people. We should be living by the notion...
- Video: Parents of fallen SEAL demand Obama resignation Ed Morrissey 20 mins ago
- Breaking: ISIS releases new video of beheading another American journalist Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Politico sounds the alarm: Boehner may still have to listen to tea partiers after midterms Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Fox News: Obama briefed for more than a year on ISIS as serious threat Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Poll: 63% oppose Obama’s executive order on amnesty Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Ukraine ends offensive operations against rebels, digs in to repel Russian invasion Noah Rothman 3 hours ago