I always enjoy reading Ms. Charen, but I think she and other conservatives are missing the point. My view is that Obama and the left offer no plans that actually solve everything. Rather, they offer plans that salve everything. All of Obama's plans are called "small ball" by Karl Rove, but these things are big ball items to the low information and leftist voter base that re-elected him. When conservatives learn to combat Obama as a well organized, well funded, tenaciously leftist and dangerous Santa Claus, and not as just a guy who has just disagreeable policies, then we will learn how to get our message out and begin to solve our nation's problems.
The lesson from the State of the Union address is this: Barack Obama has no second term agenda. Oh, sure, he campaigned furiously for the job, starting in about January of 2011. But his campaign almost never outlined his plans for a second term, focusing instead on interest group payoffs and demonization of his rival. Late in October of 2012, as if recognizing that they'd forgotten to attend to it, the Obama campaign released a 20-page glossy handout called a "blueprint for America's future." It featured splashy photos of the president on nearly every page, along with generic promises like "improve...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Sigh: Busch Gardens removes disembodied heads from Halloween display Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Holder running out the clock on Fast & Furious? Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Surge: Walker regains the lead in Wisconsin Guy Benson 8 hours ago
- Gallup: Americans trust in the media matches historic low Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- Obama’s administration at war with itself over ISIS strategy Noah Rothman 9 hours ago