HERAT, Afghanistan (Reuters) - Five militants stormed a court in Afghanistan on Wednesday where Taliban insurgents were standing trial, killing seven people and wounding 75, officials said.
At least one of the attackers blew himself up and a gun battle between Afghan security forces and an insurgent holed up inside the court was going on in the capital of the western province of Farah, near the Iranian border, said provincial deputy governor Mohammad Younis Rasouli.
"They stormed the court as a trial was being held to convict 10 Taliban fighters," he told Reuters, adding that four civilians and three members of the security forces were killed.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in a text message to media, spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi said, adding that the insurgents standing trial had been freed in the attack.
Concerns are growing over how the 352,000-strong Afghan security forces will manage once NATO-led combat troops withdraw by the end of next year.
(Reporting by Sharaf Stanekzai; Writing by Amie Ferris-Rotman; Editing by Robert Birsel)
S.F. cops under investigation for turning illegal immigrant over to ICE
Meanwhile, the F-35 is still a train wreck
Ruling In "Assault Weapons" Case Could Gut Gun Control Nationwide
Email Scandal Spin: No, Hillary, Powell and Rice Didn't 'Do It Too'
Mike Shedlock - Recession has Arrived; Factory Orders Decline 2.9%, Inventories Rise
The Remainderman | Human Events
Good Guy With A Gun Stops Potential Mass Shooting In New Orleans ... Where's The Press? | RedState