JUBA (Reuters) - South Sudan said on Saturday it had repulsed an attempt by the Sudanese army to retake the disputed oil-producing border area of Heglig, which the southern army seized earlier this week.
The Sudanese army said late on Friday its forces were advancing on Heglig town, which it lost to South Sudan's army on Tuesday when border fighting between the two neighboneighborsurs escalated.
"They tried to attack our positions around 40 miles north of Heglig last night but it was contained," South Sudanese Information Minister Barnaba Marial Benjamin told Reuters. "Heglig is (still) under our control," he said.
There was no immediate comment from the Sudanese army.
(Reporting by Ulf Laessing; Editing by Tim Pearce)
Graham to US Commander: We Would Be ‘Nuts’ Not to Have Counterterror Effort in Afghanistan | Cortney O'Brien
"Informed" Clinton Campaign Doesn't Know Existing Federal Gun Laws - Bearing Arms - Background Checks, Gun Control, Hillary Clinton
Thomas Sowell - Charlatans and Sheep
Katie Pavlich accused of bullying student reporter over fake noose report
War Party Targets Putin and Assad | Human Events
Conservatives Should Focus on the Majority Leader Race | RedState
The New Norm?
The truth about gun deaths: numbers and actual solutions