CLEVELAND (AP) — A prosecutor says no decision will be made on the death penalty until at least next month in the case against an Ohio man charged with killing three women whose bodies were found wrapped in trash bags.
Cuyahoga (KY-uh-HOH'-guh) County prosecutor Tim McGinty made the comment during a pretrial hearing Tuesday for 35-year-old Michael Madison. McGinty says a committee in his office is reviewing whether the death penalty is appropriate.
Madison responded briefly to questions from the judge, who scheduled another hearing for Aug. 20.
Defense attorney David Grant said afterward that his client's mental state would be evaluated, but he did not elaborate.
Madison was arrested last month after the bodies were found in a dilapidated neighborhood in East Cleveland. He is being held on $6 million bond.
Former Speaker Dennis Hastert Indicted For Lying To The FBI, Evading Currency Transaction Reports | Matt Vespa
Fifteen Dollars an Hour for Thee, but Not for Me: California Unions Request Exemption from New Wage Law | Christine Rousselle