NEW YORK (AP) — Authorities say a fire sparked by a space heater in a Brooklyn apartment on a freezing, snowy morning has killed an 8-year-old boy.
The Fire Department says a firefighter and another person were taken to hospitals with minor injuries after the blaze early Saturday. It was in a building in the city's Flatbush neighborhood.
Henry Barnes lives across the street. He tells The New York Times he was awakened by screams, went outside and saw two women standing in the street.
He says one was yelling: "Get my kids, get my kids."
The boy died at the scene of the fire. His name hasn't been released.
Firefighters determined the space heater was too close to some combustible items. It's not immediately clear what they were.
Doug Giles - DEAR WHINERS: Read THIS Before You Kill A Reporter On Live TV
Man Dies Attempting Appendix Carry Reholster In Milkwaukee - Bearing Arms - appendix carry, Milwaukee, Negligent Discharge, Timothy Phonisay, Wisconsin
Sheriff’s deputy executed in Texas Update: And now we have a suspect in custody - Hot Air
'Scary as hell': Pens featuring Hillary Clinton's cackling head spreading by postal mail
Small But Honest Columnist Again Forced to Correct Highest-Rated Show on Cable TV | Human Events
DNC trying to insulate itself from Iran disaster. Or maybe just Debbie Wasserman Schultz is. | RedState
Nick Adams - Not a Single Illegal Immigrant in 7 Months... In Australia