An 18-year-old man charged Friday in three Detroit sexual assault cases is accused of raping two women at gunpoint and shooting another in the back when she tried to run from him.
Job Carlyn Hughley is charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct in the first two attacks and with attempted murder in the shooting of the 36-year-old mother, who was in critical condition in a Detroit hospital.
The mother had been pushing her baby in a stroller when the attack happened Thursday. Authorities have said the child is OK.
"I have not seen allegations of an attempted rape on a mother simply trying to take her child for a stroll in all my years of working in criminal justice," Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a statement.
Maria Miller, spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office, said Hughley was being held and did not yet have a lawyer.
Prosecutors said Hughley's first attack occurred at 7 p.m. on April 4, when he approached a 20-year-old woman who was walking down the street, put a gun to her back and ordered her to go with him to an alley behind a vacant house. There, they said, he sexually assaulted her multiple times before fleeing on foot.
On Tuesday at 5:50 p.m., Worthy's office said Hughley again approached a woman, 22, and forced her at gunpoint to the side of Cody Middle School, where he sexually assaulted her.
Worthy said the attack on the mother took place shortly after noon on Thursday when Hughley approached the woman as she pushed her infant in a stroller. When she attempted to run from Hughley, he shot her in the back with a handgun, prosecutors said.
The woman ran away and was assisted by bystanders.
Hughley's arraignment is scheduled for Saturday in Detroit District Court.
If convicted of first-degree criminal sexual assault, he faces a sentence of life in prison.