WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Fully 25 percent of cell sites in the broad area hit by former hurricane Sandy were off-line earlier this week, and the outages have been reduced by only "a few percentage points" at this point, a federal official on Wednesday.
Cell sites, which can be towers or smaller facilities to relay wireless calls, were knocked out by power cuts, floods and debris, said David Turetsky, the head of the Federal Communications Commission's Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau.
The FCC had estimated that one-quarter of cell sites in the counties that Sandy hit were out of service on Tuesday.
Turetsky said outages by 10 a.m. ET on Wednesday were down by roughly three or four percentage points from the peak.
(Reporting By Diane Bartz)
GM Fires Concealed Carrying Valet Who Saved Autoworker Under Attack
Rep. Kinzinger: Muslim Americans Have A Constitutional Right To Sharia Law | RedState
Mike Shedlock - Obama Slashes Four Hours Off Definition of "Full-Time" Employment
Get Ready For The Hillary Campaign Bloodbath After New Hampshire Loss
How Bernie Sanders lost the New Hampshire primary
High-Tech Ted | Human Events
'That's bad, right?' Hillary's email trouble might have just deepened (if that's even possible)