(Reuters) - A fire in a storage shed for sulfuric acid forced the evacuation of an entire northern Iowa town of about 2,000 people Thursday, officials said.
They said the fire started at about 7.30 a.m. CT in the shed at the municipal airport in Northwood. Four people living in the area went to a hospital with respiratory concerns, said Sgt. Scott Bright of the Iowa Highway Patrol.
Bright said the shed stores sulfuric acid and other chemicals used by crop-dusting planes.
Worth County emergency management officials told residents to go to Kensett, Iowa, about six miles south, the county said on its Facebook page.
"I could see the black smoke billowing up," Northwood resident Susan Mega said by telephone from Kensett. She said an odor similar to rotten eggs filled the air.
(Reporting By Kevin Murphy in Kansas City, Missouri; Editing by David Bailey and Grant McCool)
Contained? New Report Says There’s ‘Unprecedented’ ISIS Mobilization In The U.S.
'You don't say!' Ex-intel head: WH ignored ISIS threat for sake of Obama re-election
U of Chicago emergency closure had more than a little racial bias taking place
The Worst Gun Ever Made? - Bearing Arms - Calico, Video
Why California Environmentalists Hate Water | Human Events
5 Reasons I Will Not Vote For Trump If He Is The GOP Nominee | RedState
Peter Morici - 2015 Paris Climate Conference: Another Bad Deal for America