Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. AUTHORITIES TESTING PACKETS OF HEROIN FOUND IN HOFFMAN APARTMENT
Officials want to know whether the drug was mixed with anything else. The actor's autopsy is underway and results are pending.
2. BANKS, RETAILERS BATTLE OVER CONSUMER DATA BREACHES
Each is using its lobbying might to persuade Congress that the other side is responsible for protecting personal information of consumers.
3. WHY THE MARKETS ARE JITTERY AS COMPANIES REPORT EARNINGS
Last year's big gains have left share prices so high that investors are hammering stocks that report evenly slightly bad news.
4. PERSONAL NOTES OF JOHN PAUL II TO BE PUBLISHED WEDNESDAY
Pope wanted them burned after his death, but his trusted confidant says he "did not have the courage to" destroy them.
5. HOW AFGHAN MEDIA ARE COVERING PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION
Much the way journalists do in any modern democracy. This week hundreds of newspapers and radio and TV stations will cover the first televised debate.
6. FEDERAL JUDGE TO HEAR ARGUMENTS ON VIRGINIA'S GAY MARRIAGE BAN
New attorney general, a Democrat, won't defend the state's 2006 constitutional amendment, which has angered many Republican lawmakers.
7. WHO IS PUSHING FOR MORE FUNDING FOR PRESCHOOL PROGRAMS
Republican governors, who often seek less government spending, are pumping more money into education for 3- and 4-year-olds.
8. WHAT'S IN THE MASSIVE FARM BILL
Senate expected to vote on legislation that features slight cuts to food stamps, provides financial cushion for farmers and subsidizes services for rural communities.
9. MINNOW TO BE TAKEN OFF ENDANGERED LIST
Twenty-one years after it was safeguarded, Oregon chub will become first fish removed from U.S. Endangered Species Act protection.
10. THE JOYS OF WINTER: MIDWEST, EAST COAST TO GET HIT AGAIN
Kansas and Missouri will be the first to see heavy snow. Then it's on to Philadelphia, Boston, New York — possibly in time for Wednesday's morning commute.
New Jersey Man Slays Child | Human Events
Flint’s Water Poisoned by Federal, State and Local Government Failures
Hillary criticized Bernie Sanders for writing a back-cover blurb on a book
ICYMI: Triumph the Insult Comic Dog ends campus political correctness as we know it
Hey, The Supreme Court Might Decide On ‘Assault Weapons’ After All
Are These Anti-Gun Hit Pieces Hillary's "King Canute" Moment?
Donald Trump's God Problem | RedState