LISBON, Portugal (AP) — Portugal's state broadcaster is blaming its head of news for allowing police to privately view raw footage captured during violent clashes with anti-austerity protesters outside Parliament earlier this month.
The revelation that the police had access to the footage has prompted concerns about the safety of journalists as well as the broadcaster's independence. It remains unclear whether any laws were broken.
After an internal inquiry, Radio e Televisao de Portugal says Wednesday that its news chief Nuno Santos granted police permission to watch the footage on company premises the day after Nov. 14 protests.
Santos resigned last week but has denied the allegation.
The Interior Ministry, which oversees the police, says there are legal doubts about whether investigating officers acted properly and has asked the Attorney-General to open an urgent investigation.
Wife of US Pastor Held in Iran: 'I Never Thought I’d Have to Battle My Own Gov't For My Husband’s Freedom' | Leah Barkoukis
Politifact: On Second Thought, Obama's 'Keep Your Plan' Pledge is 2013's 'Lie of the Year' | Guy Benson
Conservatives Clash as House Prepares to Vote on Ryan-Murray Budget Deal -- UPDATE: House passes 332-94 | Guy Benson
New White House Push: Sign Up For Obamacare Because It Will Give Your Mother "Piece of Mind" | Daniel Doherty
Heartbreaking: Dad Gives Up Trying to Obtain Health Insurance For His Ailing Son on the Exchanges | Daniel Doherty