WILL even our current catastrophe shock us into drilling our own oil, instead of relying so heavily on the volatile Middle East -- and without wringing our hands over Caribou? Why are Caribou more important than the thousands of other animals that are killed every night on our highways?
- Those who disdain wealth as a worthy goal for an individual or a society seem not to realize that wealth is the only thing that can prevent poverty.
- At the recent conference in Durban, South Africa, the president of Nigeria demanded an apology from Western nations for the slavery of centuries past -- even though the continuing slavery of the present in Nigeria was reported in the New York Times of February 2, 1997 -- more than a century after slavery ended in the West.
- Have you ever known a time when there was so much talk about ethics -- or so little practice of it?
- The great ideological divide is between those who believe that theories should be adjusted to reality and those who believe that reality must be adjusted to fit their theories. Many of the horrors of the 20th century were created by the latter. And such people are still with us, in many movements.
- Some people go to desperate lengths to avoid making an estimate. They say that it all depends, that there are many factors, that there are no guarantees, that unforeseen things could happen. Don't we already know all that? Isn't that why we call it an estimate, rather than a guaranteed certainty?
- Why does everything that the government does become so complicated? Because there are more than 500 members of Congress, each one of them with his or her own pet notions. Many of these notions have to be incorporated into legislation to get a majority in favor of any bill. The result is a complicated monstrosity.
- Everyone is supposed to be "non-judgmental" these days. But how can it be wrong to judge, when such a statement is itself a judgment?
- We have all heard about the "mid-life crisis," but did you know that there is now a book out titled "Quarterlife Crisis"? It is about how tough it is to turn 25. Apparently everybody has to whine about something.
- Any politician who can be elected only by turning Americans against other Americans is too dangerous to be elected.