Terry Paulson

On this Labor Day it’s important to realize that capital investors need skilled labor willing to work and save; labor needs applied capital willing to take a risk on new dreams. Both need a government that will ensure that they will continue to be free to makes dreams happen and to reap the benefits of making those dreams come to life. The American Dream has always worked, and it’s still very much alive. But you wouldn’t know it by listening to the Democratic Party’s Convention.

Speaker after speaker talked of the values and difficult challenges that had shaped the lives of their parents, but then went on to negate those America values by promoting class envy and the same old liberal platform and policies that have failed here and around the world.

Michelle Obama shared with pride, “Both our parents told us that you work for what you want in life.” She acknowledged her inspiring father, Frasier, who, in spite of his MS, put two kids through Princeton and Michelle through Harvard.

Hillary Clinton thanked her mother for telling her, “In this country you can be anything you want to be!” Joe Biden added his parents’ wisdom, “You don’t measure success by whether you’ve been knocked down, but by how quickly you get back up…. I was taught the dignity of work. If you work hard long enough, you can make it.”

And in Obama’s rousing spectacle, he declared: “My grandparents weren’t complainers. They took life as it came. They knew they had to work hard.” He talked about passing on the values he inherited—the values of hard work, honesty, self-reliance, respect for other people, empathy, kindness and faith.

All of these Democrats’ parents had confidence in them, but it’s clear that these Democrats have no such confidence in you. Things are so bad in this “Bush-McCain America” that the only way 95% of Americans can succeed is if they elect “Robin Hood” politicians who will take more from the other 5% of higher-income Americans and more from profitable businesses to give tax breaks, universal healthcare, a college education and mortgage relief to those who Democrats believe can’t make it on their own!

Obama bragged, “I will cut taxes for 95% of those paying taxes.” Using 2006 IRS figures, if you have an adjusted gross income of over $153,542, you are in the top 5%. Obama wants you to pay more than the 57% of the income tax bill you already pay.

Terry Paulson

Terry Paulson, PhD is a psychologist, award-winning professional speaker, author of The Optimism Advantage: 50 Simple Truths to Transform Your Attitudes and Actions into Results, and long-time columnist for the Ventura County Star.

TOWNHALL DAILY: Be the first to read Terry Paulson's column. Sign up today and receive Townhall.com daily lineup delivered each morning to your inbox.