A random walk among issues currently in the news. . . .
Let's hear it for the U.N. The place is rife with scandal involving not only Secretary General Kofi Annan's son Kojo, but possibly Kofi himself. Plus these: (1) allegations of sexual harassment leading to the resignation of the U.N. high commissioner for refugees; (2) corruption in the U.N.-overseen oil-for-food program that evidently allowed Saddam Hussein to circumvent sanctions against Iraqi oil and enabled Saddam to siphon perhaps $12 billion for himself; and (3) charges of prostitution, pedophilia and rape on the part of U.N. "peacekeeping" troops in Congo. No wonder the U.S., the U.N.'s principal financial backer, exhibits a growing reluctance to keep shelling out.
Bulletin: With newspapers giving off seemingly relentless bad news, consider this from a Mediamark Research study: 41 percent of influential Americans - "the critical 10 percent of the population who drive what the other 90 percent think, do, and buy" - tend to be avid readers of newspapers.
So Prince Charles is going to wed his mistress, Camilla Parker Bowles - things between the two of them apparently having hotted up shortly after they met at a polo match about 30 years ago when she said: "My great-grandmother was your great-great-grandfather's mistress, so how about it?" Question: Which marriage is the more bizarre - the latest in Britain's marvelously dysfunctional royalty, or the impending wedding of Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau? The latter couple met in Seattle in 1996 - she a 34-year-old teacher and mother of four, he her 12-year-old student. Since then, she has served two terms for sex with him, and they have produced two children. With Mary Kay now 43 and Vili having reached the age of full majority at last, the two will wed about a week after the ceremony uniting the two British lovers - he 56, she 57.
How on earth can there be any argument against House Judiciary Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner's bill to crack down on the ability of illegal aliens to obtain and use driver's licenses?
Ross Mackenzie lives with his wife and Labrador retriever in the woods west of Richmond, Virginia. They have two grown sons, both Naval officers.
Be the first to read Ross Mackenzie's column. Sign up today and receive Townhall.com delivered each morning to your inbox.
Palestinian Spokesman on CNN: It's Israel vs. Palestinian Civilians--Israel Violated Ceasefire and Massacred Civilians | Greg Hengler
History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools | Katie Pavlich