• Egypt is the cultural and population center of Arabs - not, necessarily, Islam. Egypt's 83.7 million people is the largest Arab population of any country on the planet.
• You know that we, meaning you and I, are huge monetary supporters of Egypt. We pay them upwards of $1.3 billion a year largely to keep their military in the latest arms, and their hands off Israel.
• After long-time dictator Hosni Mubarak was thrown out of office in November 2011, there was a period of interim rule by a military junta which, following an election, was replaced by an Islamist regime run by a guy named Mohammed Morsi, a leader of the Muslim Brotherhood.
• Morsi, decided the democratic process was taking just a little longer than he wanted, so on November 22 he issued a decree granting himself virtually unlimited powers out of reach of judicial review.
• The group writing a new constitution for Egypt has drafted a document very closely aligned with Sharia law which, according to a website named sharia-law.info
Is basically a way of arriving at decisions on how to live life by studying religious texts to determine divine will. Sharia law is also not just a legal system?it's also a moral system, a structure for living life as a devout Muslim.
• The draft constitution which is at the center of the current unrest in Egypt was hailed by a man described by the Associated Press as an "ultraconservative Muslim cleric" who said,
"This constitution has more complete restraints on rights than ever existed before in any Egyptian constitution," Sheik Yasser Borhami [said]. "This will not be a democracy that can allow what God forbids, or forbid what God allows."
• In their AP piece, reporters Lee Keath and Maggie Michael wrote, that of the 85 members who voted, all but 17 were "members of the Muslim Brotherhood, the ultraconservative movement known as Salafis, or their allies."
• So, you see where the secularists in Egypt might have some cause for concern.
• It appears that Egypt's long history of turmoil and chaos is in no danger of being supplanted by peace and harmony.