The National Republican Congressional Committee has mailed a survey to a selected list of grass-roots Republicans seeking opinions on "issues of greatest concern" so that the party can be strengthened "by getting more Americans involved."
Of course, it is really a fund-raiser (send your "most generous contribution"), but it is artfully designed to look like authentic market research using catchphrases such as "registered survey number," "classified document" and "data entry control number for office use only."
Whoever produced the survey must have the same worldview as Inside-the-Beltway policy wonks whose sensitivity to public opinion is bounded by the Washington Post in the morning and Dan Rather in the evening. They are clueless about what grass-roots Americans think.
Out of 54 detailed questions sorted into 13 different issues, there is only one about border security and immigration. That lone question appears at the bottom of the page titled Foreign Affairs. There is a section on homeland security, but it contains no mention of border security or immigration.
I'm going to help the Republican Congressional Committee by providing a list of 20 questions for which the answers would be helpful to party leaders.
1. Do you favor President George W. Bush's plan to give amnesty to undocumented aliens, putting people who violate our laws in line ahead of those who lawfully apply for entry?
2. Do you favor the repeal of Massachusetts Democratic Sen. Edward M. Kennedy's Diversity Visa Lottery, which admits 50,000 aliens per year, mostly from non-Western countries, including countries that sponsor terrorism?
3. Should the U.S. State Department stop issuing visas in countries that sponsor terrorism?
4. Do you favor closing our borders to undocumented aliens, illegal drugs and contagious diseases by whatever means necessary, including electronic fences and National Guard troops?
5. Do you favor requiring visual inspection of the contents of at least 50 percent of trucks entering the United States from Mexico and Canada, instead of the current 1 percent to 2 percent?
6. Do you favor prohibiting the State Department from negotiating a plan with Mexico to give Social Security benefits to undocumented aliens?
7. Do you favor repealing the federal requirement that hospitals must give free medical care, including scarce organ transplants, to undocumented aliens, an unfunded mandate that is bankrupting many hospitals and increasing the price of medical care to U.S. citizens?
8. Do you favor cutting off federal funding to state universities that give lower in-state tuition to undocumented aliens in violation of current federal law, or that refuse to cooperate with the foreign student tracking system?
9. Will you vote to revoke the citizenship of naturalized citizens who betray their oath of U.S. citizenship by claiming dual citizenship with their native country?
10. Do you favor stopping the issuance of driver's licenses to undocumented aliens since many of the 9/11 hijackers boarded the fatal planes by showing their driver's licenses?
11. Do you favor penalties for local public officials who refuse to cooperate with immigration officials in identifying undocumented aliens?
12. Do you favor prohibiting government agencies from accepting foreign-issued identity cards, such as Mexico's matricula consular, as acceptable identification?
13. Do you favor strict health screening of foreigners entering the United States in order to stop the extraordinary rise in cases of tuberculosis, malaria, hepatitis B, intestinal parasites, Chagas' disease, West Nile virus and SARS?
14. Do you favor stopping the racket of smuggling pregnant aliens into the United States so they can give birth to their babies in the United States, thereby making their children immediately eligible for citizenship and welfare?
15. Do you favor a timeout on immigration and visas until the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has a functioning computer system to track aliens, not U.S. citizens, through smart identification cards?
16. Do you favor rescinding Bill Clinton's Executive Order 13166 requiring anyone who receives federal funds, such as doctors and hospitals, to provide their services in foreign languages?
17. Do you favor abolishing federal requirements to provide foreign-language ballots, since the ability to speak, read and write basic English is a requirement to become a naturalized U.S. citizen and only citizens are eligible to vote?
18. Do you favor a general policy of drawing a bright line of difference between U.S. citizens and aliens so that law-abiding U.S. citizens are not treated like potential terrorists or hijackers?
19. Do you favor a Republican Party policy of rejecting political contributions from individuals and corporations that hire undocumented aliens?
20. Is the reason why questions about border security and immigration were omitted from the Republican survey because our leaders don't want to know the answers?
Phyllis Schlafly is a national leader of the pro-family movement, a nationally syndicated columnist and author of Feminist Fantasies.
TOWNHALL DAILY: Be the first to read Phyllis Schlafly‘s column. Sign up today and receive Townhall.com daily lineup delivered each morning to your inbox.
IRS: By the Way, We Destroyed Lois Lerner's BlackBerry After Targeting Questions Started | Guy Benson