We all know the answer to that one. She’s the latest recipient of the legendary “15 minutes of fame,” and she is surely making the most of it. Fluke is the Georgetown Law student who was invited to Nancy Pelosi’s little publicity stunt to bemoan the fact that she isn’t getting free contraceptives. She is now enjoying and, I must say, making the absolute most of her 15 minutes. Look for her to graduate from law school and immediately move to a staff position in the Obama White House --- and for this we have the Republican Party to thank. Fluke was the perfect person for the Democrats to trot out to promote this idea that the GOP is waging a war against women, but it never would have worked if the GOP had simply yawned and moved on the things that really matter; jobs, for instance, and our economy.
I could write an entire column on the mindless reaction of the GOP to Sandra Fluke .. .but why do it again? I wrote that column yesterday and placed it into my daily program notes. If you’re so inclined you can read that column by clicking here. In short --- The Republicans played this scene exactly the way the Democrats wrote it, and may well end up handing Obama another four years for his “fundamental transformation” of our Republic.
But who, really, is Fluke? I’m certainly not going to launch some grand investigation to come up with an answer to that question. It’s not worth the time. But I have run across some interesting little tidbits about the proggie heroine of the hour, so I’ll share them with you.
Sandra Fluke is on Twitter under the Twitter name @SandraFluke. As of 7:40 last evening the following can be gleaned from her Twitter account:
Fluke has authored 42 Tweets to her followers. Her first Tweet was sent on February 17th. That Tweet read: “Thank you for supporting women’s voices &women’s issues! Follow me for updates on the #contraception struggle.”
Wait a minute here …. Struggle? How many of you knew that there was a contraceptive struggle? Contraceptives are available free to fully 95% of American women. If you don’t want to pay for your pills just head to the nearest government clinic or Planned Parenthood office. There’s one within 1.7 miles of Fluke’s school. The other 5% of American women just have to drive from their rural homes to an urban area to get their hands on their pills.
Back to Sandra’s Tweets:
Throughout her Tweeting Fluke consistently refers to her appearance with Nancy Pelosi as a “hearing” and to her statements as “testimony.” It was not a hearing, and she did not testify. She was never under oath. It was a meeting with some Democrats and she spoke. That’s it.
When Fluke opened her Twitter account the VERY FIRST person she followed was MSNBC’s Rachael Maddow. Now that tells you something about Fluke. She’s a leftist activist, not some innocent little law student who just can’t afford birth control pills.
The SECOND person Fluke followed on Twitter was none other than Ed Schultz. Interesting, isn’t it? As soon as Fluke elected to follow Maddow, she then chose as No. 2 a man who referred to a female conservative talk show host as a “slut.” Sound familiar? Apparently Ms. Fluke is only outraged when a conservative calls a liberal a slut.
On Feb. 23rd, the day Fluke spoke before that Pelosi Panel, Ed Schultz Tweeted “Sandra Fluke finally allowed to testify on #birthcontrol before Congress, 1 week after appearing on #ed show.” Schultz, of course, got this wrong. First, as I’ve already pointed out, it wasn’t testimony. Second, it wasn’t before Congress. It was before some Democrats gathered by Nancy Pelosi. It’s no surprise that Schultz got that wrong. He’s raised “getting it wrong” to an art form. But Sandra Fluke eagerly Re-Tweeted Schultz’s remarks … and seems not to be the least bit concerned that Schultz uses the same “S” word that was used against her.
The last two people Fluke has decided to follow are Barack Obama and Michael Moore. Of course she also follows Nancy Pelosi. I don’t have a stomach strong enough for that.
Unfortunately, I don’t think we’ve heard the last of this lovely law student. Right now she is the symbol of the so-called Republican war on women. As long as there is an independent female voter out there thinking of voting for the GOP candidate the Democrats will be running Fluke around the country to bring these women back into the fold.
Maybe they’ll hire her to replace Whoopi Goldberg on “The View.” That would make this whole episode worthwhile.