Dear Angry White Heterosexual Male Student:
I am in receipt of your recent email complaining about UNC-Wilmington’s hiring of a new Athletic Director (AD) by the name of Kelly Landry Mehrtens. I thank you for your summary of her qualifications, which are briefly recapitulated below:
*Landry Mehrtens has never held a position with nearly as much status as her new position.
*She was an Associate AD at the University of Kansas and Women's Administrator whereas her opponents held higher positions at UNC and George Mason.
* She has never held a position in this region of the country.
* She admitted that she has little knowledge of UNCW or our conference.
* She was unable to offer tangible, specific ideas on how to improve the university other than stock answers such as "building relationships."
* During the press conference she fainted at the podium while explaining her plans for the future.
I also thank you for your summary of the qualifications of Kevin McNamee the Deputy AD at George Mason (GMU). They are briefly recapitulated below:
* McNamee has been the right-hand man to Tom O'Connor (AD at GMU) for about a decade and seen their program take off under his leadership. While O'Connor dealt mostly with external affairs, McNamee dealt with most of the internal affairs the AD usually handles.
* When McNamee visited UNCW and spoke to the Seahawk Coaches, he was given a standing ovation. This simply does not happen.
* NcNamee had intimate knowledge of UNCW and of the conference making him, in your opinion, the ideal candidate.
While I do thank you for providing a list of the candidate’s qualifications (or lack thereof), I hope you will not take offense at my confession that I spent only a few seconds perusing them and not a single second verifying them. This is because such relevant qualifications are rarely considered in university hiring decisions. Let me explain.
In order for an athletic director or any college administrator to be fired (we’ll get to the hiring part next) one of two things must generally happen. First, the AD can be so incompetent that university donations begin to decline. That will always get the attention of the university president who serves no other purpose than to raise money for the university.
Jeb Bush Sat on Board of Michael Bloomberg Foundation That Funded Abortion Advocates Around the World | Ben Johnson