Heather Moore, a staff writer from PETA submitted the following letter in response to Mike Adams' column last week.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) would like equal space to address the absurd comments in Mike S. Adams? article, ?PETA Principles.? Please consider the following submission:
I would be happy to answer the questions Mike Adams posed-or should I say his buddy ?John? posed-about People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) in the article, ?PETA Principles.?
1) PETA?s mission is to end animal suffering. Unlike animals, plants are devoid of a central nervous systems and nerve endings, so there is no reason to believe they feel pain. However, if ?John? is so concerned, he should go vegetarian to help reduce plant killings. After all, by eating vegetables instead of animals, such as cows who must consume 16 pounds of vegetation in order to convert them into one pound of flesh, he would actually be saving many more plants? lives.
2) Mice can feel pain, but there is no evidence that alfalfa sprouts can. However, if ?John? believes everything deserves equal treatment, how does he justify petting a dog and eating a chicken? Animals deserve equal consideration of what is in their own best interests regardless of whether they are cute, useful to humans, or an endangered species.
3) This silly little plant debate seems to be a flimsy excuse for ?John? not to go vegetarian. There is no question that animals suffer terribly on factory farms and in slaughterhouses. They are confined in filthy cages, warehouses, and sheds. Most never see the sun, breathe fresh air, or feel grass under their feet. They are torn from their loving mothers and are de-beaked, branded, dehorned, and/or castrated without pain relief. During slaughter, they are often dismembered while they?re still fully conscious.
4) Lions could not survive if they didn?t kill antelopes for food. That is not the case for us. Many other animals are vegetarians, including some of our closest primate relatives.
5) PETA defends all animals whether they are ?cute? or not. After all, ?John? may not be all that handsome, but that doesn?t mean he should be tortured and killed for food or experimented on.
Rand Paul on NSA: “I Believe What You Do on Your Cell Phone is None of Their Damn Business” | Daniel Doherty
Devastating: 90 Percent of Uninsured Haven't Signed Up For Obamacare, Most Cite High Costs | Guy Benson