2) Tebow reminds us that football is just a game and that there are far more important things in life. After his most recent “miraculous” victory over the NY Jets, he affirmed his passion for playing but then explained that he was more excited about being involved with the building of a new hospital in the Philippines.
3) Tebow is making a clear statement about priorities. When he became the first college sophomore to receive the Heisman Trophy (for best football player in the nation), he stated that his priorities were: “number one, my faith in God; number two, my family and my relationships with my family; number three, academics; and number four is football.”
4) The same Jesus who warned about hypocritical displays of piety also called his followers to let their light shine before the world, also warning them that he would be ashamed of them if they were ashamed of him.
5) Since tens of millions of people follow the NFL, why shouldn’t God take advantage of the opportunity to use a football player who has the attention of the nation?
6) The Bible does not present God as a distant and detached Creator but as one who is intimately involved in our day to day affairs. Is the NFL outside of his gaze or potential involvement?
7) We are not going to answer the question of the problem of suffering in a short article (those interested in this difficult subject can watch my debate with Prof. Bart Ehrman at www.AskDrBrown.org), but isn’t Tebow addressing this problem in a practical way by helping to build hospitals in impoverished parts of the world? And would he be able to do this without his football income and fame?
Obviously, we can only give our opinions here, but with Tim Tebow on so many American minds these days, it’s a discussion worth having.
So what’s your take? Is God working football miracles on behalf of Tim Tebow?
Michael Brown holds a Ph.D. in Near Eastern Languages and Literatures from New York University. He is the author of 25 books, includingLine of Fire. Follow him at AskDrBrown on Facebook or @drmichaellbrown on Twitter.
Report: Obama to Take Unilateral Action on Immigration One Week After Midterm Elections? | Guy Benson
Judicial Watch Sues DHS For Information Surrounding Release of 36,000 Criminal Aliens | Katie Pavlich
Special Agent and Whistleblower Vince Cefalu's Trial Against ATF For Retaliation Starts Monday | Katie Pavlich