Greek mythology, with its tales of Zeus, Apollo and Hera doesn't have a thing on the mythology that liberals have created around themselves. There's Bubba, the President who can feel your pain, BO the leader who has the ability to never be blamed for anything and, of course, the wronged woman Fluke who the gods granted free birth control for the rest of her life for not being allowed to speak to a committee...or something. Still, as you're about to see, the real face of liberalism looks a lot more like Medusa than Aphrodite.
1) Liberals are pro-capitalism: Many liberals actually get offended if you call them socialists or worse yet, communists. This is like a wife-beater getting angry when you suggest that he doesn't love his wife. At a minimum, he doesn't love her enough not to smack her in the mouth just as liberals don't love capitalism enough to avoid undermining it at every opportunity. If you want to end inequality, tax the rich into the ground, create a massive government and have a social safety net the size of a small planet, you're not a capitalist. Sure, liberals may love that capitalist lifestyle, but they believe they can have that Soviet "economic equality" too, while forgetting that it always eventually comes with ugly concrete apartments and breadlines.
2) Liberals respect the Constitution: You can't claim to value and respect the Constitution while saying that there is such a thing as a "living constitution," which in practice is nothing more than calling the whims and prejudices of liberal justices “Constitutional Law.” This is what liberals believe in and yet, they still want to have it both ways. First, there's a debate about what the Constitution actually says, but if liberals don't happen to be in the right, they still want left-wing judges to rule in their favor anyway. That isn't constitutional law or even law at all; it's slipping the umpires $50 before the game and asking them to call the balls and strikes your way.
3) Liberals are compassionate: If you want to see a truly magnificent example of this myth in practice, the last election was a near perfect example of it. You had Barack Obama, who ignores his relatives begging for help in grinding Third World poverty up against Mitt Romney who anonymously gave milk to a VA hospital for two years, helped a dying 14 year old boy write his will and offered to pay for the college education of "two boys who were left as quadriplegics after a car wreck." Yet, the compassionate guy in the race was supposed to be Barack Obama. Go figure. Studies show time and time again that conservative give more of their income to charity than liberals. Meanwhile, liberals say they care more because they favor creating barely functional government programs, paid for with other people's money, that will allow bureaucrats to help people in need -- if by "in need" you mean people who might vote for liberal politicians in return. That's not compassion; that's cruel bribery with someone else's money.
4) Liberals love minorities: Really? Tell that to Kenneth Gladney and Daniel Tarver, black men who were beaten and called n*ggers by union members without a peep from the Left. How about Allen West or Mia Love, whom liberals turned to vote against in droves because of...racism? That's what they say when conservatives vote against black Democrats, isn't it? Speaking of which, black Americans make up roughly a quarter of the Democrats in America and yet, "Of the 75 black, Hispanic, and Asian-American Democrats in Congress and governorships, only nine represented majority-white constituencies—and that declined to six in 2011." Minority voters go heavily for the Democrats; so why won't white Democrats return the favor on the local level? Along similar lines, Hispanic and black Americans have been voting liberal for decades now – how well is that working out for them? Even Barack Obama doesn't have the stones to try to do more to help minorities prosper because he knows his white liberal base would revolt. Liberals are happy to exploit minority voters in every way they can, but at the end of the day their attitude is, "Take your welfare, know your place and do as you’re told."
5) Liberals are for progress: Liberals are for progress -- well, towards bankruptcy, degeneracy and societal decay. On the other hand, if we're talking about progress towards new oil pipelines, school choice, balancing the budget, restructuring Social Security and Medicare or cutting wasteful government programs, liberals are about as progressive as your 92 year old Aunt Millie when she offers you a big bowl of hard candy that she's had in a drawer since 1952. Just as saying "forward" doesn't mean you're moving in the right direction, calling yourself a "progressive" doesn't actually mean you're always in favor of progress.
Today's the Day: Scots to Vote For Whether or Not to Secede From the United Kingdom | Christine Rousselle
Lt. Col. Oliver North: Someone Needs to Tell The Truth, Obama's ISIS Strategy is Mission Impossible | Katie Pavlich
Townhall Magazine's October Issue Preview: Obamacare's Illegal Insurance Company Bailout | Conn Carroll