3. His record shows he is not a fiscal conservative. RomneyCare will inevitably turn Taxachusetts into the 75 percent tax rate state to pay for a "non-profit" health care system that is more expensive than most of the for-profit state health care systems in America. Massachusetts had the highest health care costs in the world when Romney signed the law. If he's so brilliant, how come he doesn't know that government doubles the cost and halves the quality of whatever service it assumes? In any event, Hillary and Ted K praised Romney's health care law, which coincidentally was very similar to a Hillary plan called "Healthy Choices." The Congressional Budget Office said this level of government intervention and regulation was "unprecedented" – as in even the out-of-control socialist Democrats hadn't gone this far! The Wall Street Journal said RomneyCare was in "intensive care" right after birth. As Romney was being praised for his strong fiscal record by conservative talk show hosts, his plan almost doubled average premiums, costing Taxachusetts $150 million more than the public was first told.
4. His record shows he is pro-gay agenda. Romney vowed to be more gay friendly than Ted Kennedy when he ran against him for Senate. The New York Times recently pointed out that Romney met with leaders of the Log Cabin Republicans and promised not to oppose the gay marriage law in the Cradle of Liberty. Not only didn't he oppose it, outside of public declarations against it – but he secretly empowered it by ordering Justices of the Peace to perform same sex marriage ceremonies or be fired. He also ordered his Department of Health to change the marriage certificates from "husband" and "wife" to "partner A" and "partner B" when he was not legally obligated to do so. Haskins said, "If Romney had not given those orders to the town clerks and justices of the peace (to perform gay marriages or get fired), there would be no gay marriage in Massachusetts today." Why would a pro-family guy send flyers to a gay pride event reading "Mitt and Kerry wish you a great Pride Weekend?"
5. He has a record of appointing liberal judges. The Boston Globe said Romney "passed over" GOP lawyers and granted most of his 36 judge seat appointments to "registered Democrats or independents, including two gay lawyers who support expanded same-sex rights." Haskins and other Massachusetts conservative activists claim Romney violated the Massachusetts Constitution in issuing those orders to town clerks and justices of the peace. If Romney has no respect for the constitution of the birthplace of America, why would he appoint pro-U.S. Constitution judges?
6. He is pro-gun control. Although he joined the NRA a hundred and twenty days prior to beginning his presidential campaign, as governor Romney favored strict gun control laws opposed by the NRA such as the Brady Bill and Assault Weapons Ban.
7. Voters don't trust him. Four recent national polls including a recent Pew Center Poll revealed that voters trusted Romney least of the four major GOP presidential candidates. Liberal Lion Ted Kennedy suggested Romney is like John Kerry. Kennedy called him "Multiple Choice Mitt," when he ran against him in a senate race. Multiple choice – as in: he has multiple positions on issues, and like Kerry, he may vote for something just after he votes against it. His record shows he is for and against abortion, the gay agenda, socialist health care and gun control. While 99 percent of the media likes Mitt, polls show about 90 percent of the voters don't. The Romney campaign attributes that to the bigotry of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy.
8. Unfortunately we don't have time to get into his compassionate conservatism and the dog strapped to the roof of his car.
Co-author Paul Dinger is a 30 year veteran Boston journalist writing a book entitled "The Secret Meaning of America."
Gregg Jackson is a radio talk show host on WRKO in Boston and author of "Conservative Comebacks to Liberal Lies: Issue By Issue Responses to the Most Common Claims of the Left from A to Z."
Be the first to read Gregg Jackson's column. Sign up today and receive Townhall.com delivered each morning to your inbox.