It feels like morning in America again.
The Culture and Media Institute doesn’t usually go in for labor strikes, but in Hollywood’s case we’re happy to make an exception. It isn’t every day the industry spearheading the destruction of the culture shuts itself down.
Yes, destroying the culture. According to CMI’s National Cultural Values Survey, 73 percent of Americans believe Hollywood is harming America’s moral values. A Hollywood strike is good news, like finding out the neighborhood mugger just got thrown in the clink.
This strike provides a wonderful opportunity for Americans to reflect on what they’ve been dumping into their minds in the name of entertainment. Just look at this season’s CMI headlines about the fruits of Hollywood’s creative genius:
* Blasphemy as 'Satire': Sarah Silverman portrays God as an arrogant, pot-smoking, foul-mouthed boyfriend she can’t wait to dump.
* Boston Legal Writers Attack ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ Policy: ABC delivers leftwing propaganda in the guise of entertainment.
* Tila Tequila: the Latest in MTV Sexploitation: Like all reality shows, this one suffers from noticeable scripting, which must have been done by drooling old men in raincoats.
* ABC Takes ‘Big Shots’ at Traditional Values: New “dramedy” normalizes irresponsible sexual behavior, depicts grown men as eternal adolescents.
* A Modern-Day Stoning!?! Cold Case Smears Christian Kids: CBS’s entertainment division portrays devout teens as murderers and hypocrites and their youth pastor as a pervert, while taking cheap shots at abstinence education.
* CBS’s Cold Case Adds Insult to Injury: One Sunday they savage evangelical Christians. The next week, one year after the Lancaster County schoolhouse massacre, they poke fingers in the eyes of the Amish.
* ‘Dr. 90210’ – or Dr. Crotch? What compels anyone at the E! network, from the CEO to the lowliest of interns, to associate himself with this product?
* The World According to the TV Critics: Showtime’s new series, Californication, blatantly and obscenely blasphemes Christianity and insults the Catholic Church – and not a single major media critic even notices.
Be the first to read Brian Fitzpatrick's column. Sign up today and receive Townhall.com delivered each morning to your inbox.