Armstrong Williams

The Republican Party lost multiple unloseable elections (see Mourdock, Akin, Romney). They did not merely let winnable elections slip away, but actively gave them to Democrats, a situation much more heartbreaking than the narrow defeats of 2010. At best, the Republican Party has even more cautionary tales for its younger members, more examples of what not to do, but that is small consolation for two more years of Obama and Reid. In the same way, the only good that will come out of this for the country is suffering, which is the greatest teacher. The Democrats will continue to show us what does not work.

I am not confident that the Republican Party can win national elections anymore. It appears as though the demographics have permanently changed, and there is no reason to believe that they will change favorably to conservatives.

I do think that we will see an even more conciliatory Speaker of the House, John Boehner, than we did before. Boehner is no Tea Partier: everyone knows that. I don’t expect him to change his dollar-for-dollar standard in raising the debt ceiling, but I don’t expect the House to continue making show-votes, like repealing Obamacare. There is simply no point, no one to win over anymore. All their bluster in standing up to Obama got them nowhere, and only created a liberal media narrative of “obstructionism,” a charge that never made sense, but never had to.

The other side had a simple message...Mitt never really found a clear, simple message of what he would do that was so much better for Hispanics, Non-whites, the poor...and he did not help himself by remaining pegged as rich and elitist...

The GOP must devise a long term strategy to communicate its message in a positive and trusting way to minorities and single women.

He got pegged as a 1%er and not caring about the other 99%..a deadly perception going into an election of us versus them.

Sad that other Republicans had a bad night too...a bunch of Liberal initiatives sailed through....Elizabeth Warren..Gay Marriage..MD Dream Act...

Mitt's steadfast vision of increased military spending lacked the fiscal discipline that responsible fiscal conservatives would like..Bush did that and was a spending madman.

Get ready for 4 years of deadlock....and new taxes.

We have always known that Democrats are better at politicking that Republicans, but we have now affirmed that people really are buying what the Democrats are selling: there can be no doubt about it now. Politics is downstream from culture, and we simply don’t have a conservative culture anymore. The task for Republicans is to create one, rather than worrying about winning politics.


Armstrong Williams

Armstrong Williams is a widely-syndicated columnist, CEO of the Graham Williams Group, and hosts the Armstrong Williams Show. He is the author of Reawakening Virtues.
 
TOWNHALL DAILY: Be the first to read Armstrong Williams' column. Sign up today and receive Townhall.com daily lineup delivered each morning to your inbox.